Just like our other customers you can achieve sustainability goals with your mobile devices.
You can start with contributing to e-waste reduction today; you pay Closing the Loop a small fee to collect scrap phones in emerging markets on your behalf.
This creates a ‘closed loop’ solution for devices; for every new device you buy, we collect and responsibly recycle a scrap phone.
It leads to environmental benefits, but also creates a unique and appealing story on green procurement and circularity.
It works like this:
- You purchase your organisation's devices and would like this purchase to be more sustainable;
- CTL charges you a small fee of a few euros per phone and a comparable fee for other devices;
- CTL uses that fee to pay its African partners for the collection of an end-of-life scrap phone;
- Only end-of-life devices are purchased that are no longer relevant for normal use. This is guaranteed by the purchase price paid for the scrap devices being lower than the common price of devices for second hand use;
- This collection is done by local communities in the emerging world, in a safe way that is fully in line with international laws;
- CTL collects in areas where there is no functional mandatory or regulatory take-back system, and therefore does not compete with any existing systems mandated by law;
- If proper recycling is not possible locally, CTL ships the waste to certified facilities;
- The waste is then turned into reusable materials (urban mining), in a safe and clean way;
- You get great content, circular results and assured reporting on our approach.
Some call it Global Extended Producer Responsibility. Others refer to it as an offsetting program. We call it One for One. For every device you buy (or sell), we collect and responsibly recycle a scrap phone. The basic idea: you consume (a great product), you fund (great recycling).
If this simple rule is implemented, waste would no longer increase and materials needed for production would become much more widely available.
Get started on circularity.
Do you have a question? Maybe our FAQ can answer it.